Marrying Relatives: The Final Word on the Subject

M. Mitchell Marmel marmelmm at drexel.edu
Wed Aug 29 16:29:44 CEST 2001

http://www.wwco.com/gean/grandpa/

I'm My Own Grandpa
by Dwight Latham and Moe Jaffe

It sounds funny, I know
But it really is so
Oh, I'm my own grandpa

Many, many years ago, when I was twenty-three
I was married to a widow who was pretty as can be
This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red
My father fell in love with her, and soon they, too, were wed

I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny, I know
But it really is so
Oh, I'm my own grandpa

This made my Dad my son-in-law, and changed my very life
'Cause my daughter was my mother, for she was my father's wife
To complicate the matter, even though it brought me joy
I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy

I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny, I know
But it really is so
Oh, I'm my own grandpa

This little baby then became a brother-in-law to Dad
And so he was my uncle, though it made me very sad
'Cause if he was my uncle, then that also made him brother
Of the widow's grown-up daughter, who, of course, was my step-mother

I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny, I know
But it really is so
Oh, I'm my own grandpa

Father's wife than had a son, who kept him on the run
So he became my grandchild, 'cause he was my daughter's son
My wife is now my mother's mother, and it makes me blue,
Because although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too

I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny, I know
But it really is so
Oh, I'm my own grandpa

If my wife is my grandmother, then I'm her grandchild
And every time I think of it, it nearly drives me wild
For now I have become the strangest case you ever saw
As husband of my grandmother, I am my own Grandpa

Oh, I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny, I know
But it really is so