The Master Rainmaker

Marco Barlotti marcobar at ds.unifi.it
Sat Jan 13 23:49:57 CET 2001

At 15.32 12/01/2001 +0000, Frank Stajano wrote:

>> >http://marcobar.cce.unifi.it/DCML/pato1.jpg
>
>Yes, it's my favourite Barks short story! The one where Donald has a little
>plane and can produce rain on demand.

The Inducks code, as Armando already pointed out, is
W WDC 156-01.

>The shapes of the panels are different -- so different that this could even
>explain why the 1st panel was completely redone.

Yes, the original format was 4-tiered, while the Spanish reprint is 3-tiered.
Note that also the Italian reprints on TL 80 and AR 340 were 3-tiered: but
they used a different lay-out, keeping the original 4-tiered 1st page. So
the 3-tiers in EVERY page are different in the Italian and in the Spanish
version.

The Spanish enlarged the first and the last panels, which were (partly?)
redrawn. However, the peculiar fact is that the WHOLE story was TRACED
(it's a "lucido" in the Italian jargon).

>The (IMHO good) joke of "x is always an unknown" is original, ie absent in
>Barks.

This joke is missing also in the Italian version. So the Spanish one is
proved  ;-)  to be indipendent of the Italian!

>One could go on with nitpickings on the translation, but it's stuff that
>you could do with any translation of any story, so I don't think it's worth
>continuing.

That was not my intention, in fact...    ;-)

Thanks to you and Armando for the feedback!

    Marco

http://marcobar.cce.unifi.it/Comics