Sardine rain??

Francesco Spreafico frspreaf at tin.it
Sun Jan 21 00:29:46 CET 2001

From: "Francesco Spreafico" <frspreaf at tin.it>

> this result:

Little update:

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/9291/fishrain.htm

And this does astonish me since it's about sardine fish in the
neighborhood of Tegucigalpa on May!!!
It's in Spanish, I've had copernic traslate it in English (seems to work
better than babelfish), here it goes:

-------------------------

THE RAIN OF FISH
By Perfect H. Bobadilla (Honduran)
Article appeared in the Magazine Literary Mail of Honduras, Year I, no. 1,
Tegucigalpa, D.C., Honduras, C.A.

" the heavy shower of fish, as they call the native ones to him, is
characteristic: one begins generally to four or five of late, with a black
cloud, followed of strong electrical unloadings and terrible hurricanes,
that appear in the hill of Bush Water "

Ands one of the most peculiar phenomena than is observed in Honduras. It
takes place in the neighborhoods of the city of Yoro, to a kilometer of
distance, towards the Suroeste of the population, in the called plain "
the Marsh ", that limits the West with the cerrito of " the Name Badly ".
It is a this volcano extinguished, that made eruption at remote time,
according to testify the many iron sulfide stones that in the expressed
plain are dispersed.

What more Llama the attention in this " rain of fish ", is the regularity
whereupon verifies; annually, for a single time, in the months of May or
June, when beginning the rainy station in this colorful region.

The " heavy shower of fish ", as they call the native ones to him, is
characteristic: one begins generally to four or five of late, with a black
cloud, followed from strong electrical unloadings and terrible hurricanes,
that appear in the hill of " Bush Water ", by the Northeast of the
Atlantic side, that is, of where come tradewinds of this zone. Finished
the storm, the sardines, like of three to four inches in length, they are
jumping, alive still, on the green savannah of " the Marsh ", dispersing,
sometimes, in winch of a lagunato, that exists Badly in the Northeast base
of the cerrito of " the Name ", water tank that is dried totally in the
summer.

We, when young, have had opportunity, more of once, to go in company of
other chicuelos of the district, once passed the storm, to gather the
flavorful pececillos, returning contentments to our homes to enjoy the
delights of a succulent supper.

Several theories have been formulated to explain scientifically, this
peculiar one like interesting phenomenon; but the one that seems guessed
right more she is the one than it attributes it to a marine whirlwind
coming from the Atlantic, by the constant direction from where the cloud
comes, to go the heavy shower accompanied by frequent and formidable
electrical unloadings, and to invariably fall in the plain of " the Marsh
", in where, due to the iron mineral stock, it perhaps has, a pole that it
attracts the whirlwind, in which the mysterious pececillos come.

If this turns out to be true, I'll certainly include it in my site :-))

Any Honduran in list??

--
Sprea