Mickey from Africa?

Petri Kanninen pkannine at cc.hut.fi
Fri Mar 2 10:33:09 CET 2001

Rich (xephyr at jps.net) wrote:
> "Race", on the other hand, is an entirely different issue.  I have seen
> "black" and "white" Duckbills, and I believe that Mickey and Goofy,
> while having "black" pelts, are NOT considered to be of any sort of
> "African" ethnicity.  Most people would agree that Mickey, Minnie,
> Goofy, Horace, Clarabelle and others are generally considered to be
> "white" characters, as is Donald, Uncle $crooge and others.

This reminds of the ad that announced Mickey's arrival to Finland in 1930.
The day before Mickey strip started to appear here there was a short
introduction in the paper which said "This gentleman is Mickey. Straight
from the darkest Africa." This is understandable because the first story
was "Lost on a Desert Island" in which Mickey ends up in Africa and has
some trouble with a local tribe.

--
Petri Kanninen (pkannine at cc.hut.fi)
"Elämä muodostaa komplekseja."