Foreign Disney Comics: Are the stories original?

Clueless in Seattle clueless.in.seattle at mailandnew.com
Wed Mar 7 22:29:07 CET 2001

	From reading the messages posted since I subscribed to this list a few
days ago, I'm getting the impression that foreign editions of Disney
comics are created by production teams in the countries where the comics
will be distributed, rather than just translating stories from U.S.
editions of the comics.  Did I get that right?

	The reason I'm asking is because in the Latin American Donald Duck
comics that I started collecting in the early nineties in Mexico, it
seemed to me that the stories and art had been taken from old U.S.
comics, with Spanish translations printed in the speech balloons.  In
fact, it often seemed that the Spanish dialogue didn't fit at all well
into the balloons.

	Also, the color separations seemed "streamlined."  By that I mean that
a lot of different areas that you would expect to printed in different
colors would be printed in all the same color.  For example a background
of grass, tree trunks, tree foliage, sky, with some clouds floating in
it would all be one color, such as yellow.  From that I imagined that
the Latin American publisher had bought the line drawings or old U.S.
Donalad Duck comics, but that the color separations had not survived, so
they had to hire some artists to do some "quick and dirty" color
separations.

	So, now I'm wondering if I was completely off the mark in that
speculation.