Dutch Rosas, Harry

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 00:33:21 CET 2001

HARRY:

> > Well, this shows what i was wanting to write in
> the last
> > dcml, that the
> > dutch weekly, the editor or someone in power must
> hate Don Rosa or
> > hopefully (?!) just his comics
> Certainly no one in my country hates Don Rosa
> personally.
That's good. I don't think anyone does here either.
But some, who are in some books called Barksists don't
like his stories. I call myself a Barksist too, but a
Rosaist too...

> > 1. don't want the stories in the weekly
> The official reason is: the Dutch think that Don's
> stories are too complex
> for the children they are aiming at in the weekly.
> That's why they put them
> in DD Extra.
I see.
Well, the danish weekly-readers are probably the same
age, they are said to love the stories.
The danish extra is reprints and a french
Mickey-story...

> The fact that Roep does not like Rosa's art is only
> secundary.
I see, but it's a fact anyway.

> > 2. Put covers on the DD Extras with Don's stories
> by another
> > artist, even
> > though iut would be easy to get the original ones.
> Some of
> > those covers
> > look horrid. others are just overdrawn from Rosa.
> That's a matter of taste.
It sure is.

> I haven't seen any "horrid" cover on a Dutch Rosa
> issue.
Well, I did see some I thought was horrid. We
discussed before that we can only tell or own opinion.

What i mean by horrid is overdrawn, and eg. the family
tree where Hortense was suddenly baking so you
couldn't see her, and Quackmore was reading the paper
Quagmire seemed to be a tractor! (Or was he in the
tractor). If they don't want the readers to see those
important persons on the tree, why publish it?

> I *did* see some horrible covers drawn by
> Rosa himself, so I can
> understand that the editors don't use them.
Well, as my kind of fan of Rosa I wouldn't say I find
any of his covers horrid, only the overdrawn ones.
I do find eg. the cover for album 60 of the dutch
series of Scrooge albums confusing. The cover by Rosa
refers to another story than the one inside, a
Barks-story, and the map in the background confuses me
too.

> > I just don't, as a Rosa-reader, understand why
> they if they hate
> > the stories and covers, just don't publish them
> instead of
> > ruining them.
> They *love* Rosa's stories, so they are happy to use
> them.
I see.

> > The Coin in dutch (This would stand as an example
> alone...)
> As an example of what? Anything wrong with the Dutch
> version of "The Coin"?
In my opinion there is.
The poor way that someone took away the dollar signs
and replaced with the signs for guilders, so that the
color from the $-sign is still seen. That looks
strange.
Also they used the beautiful french coloring. BVut
what color does Scrooge's spats usually have in
Holland, what color is the hats of the Beagle Boys,
and Gladstones jacket?
How about the money in the bin, have they always been
silver and cobber-colored as Don would love them to
be? No they've always been gold, like here. I'm not
saying I want them to be, but I say that the tradtion
is so.
 and maybe the tradition is not to print Rosa in the
weekly.
I hope to be able to show you a danish copy of the
Coin in same weeks, looking what i would call better
than the ducth one.

=====
Anders Christian Sivebaek
acsive at yahoo.com