About Don Rosa

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Sat Mar 24 17:52:45 CET 2001

How could I forget to reply?
Rodney's message just reminded me to do so.

I haven't been lucky enough to meet Mr Don Rosa--
and sure hope I will. But I did get to speak with him.
And he was certainly not "a pinched and crabby man",
even though he was answering a perfect stranger over
the phone that might very well have been a con.

In '97, I did my DEA (that's the degree right before the thèse)
in AmLit on Carl Barks-- brief history of  the Disney Studio
and early strips, Barks' career, editorial "constraints", development
of  the fandom. I've been a fan since childhood and was glad I could
work in this subject.
In the course of  my research (entirely done in France), I got in touch
with Geoffrey Blum, who kindly sent me photocopies of  articles, and
told me about fellow duck fans whom I've been in touch with ever since.

And, for a few pages in him (about later artists's tributes to Barks
and censorhip-- the guns in L&T part 3), having found his phone
number on the L&T site, after much hesitation, one afternoon (in France,
so that's "one morning" in the Louisville), I called Keno Don Rosa--
it was very bold (not in the sense of "brave") of  me (that's why I hesitated,
it's not the kind of  thing I usually do), calling him. (I didn't have any e-mail
at that time)

Mr Don Rosa was *very* kind. He took the time to chat a bit and
answer a few questions I faxed him, and was very nice-- truly, I mean,
not a gosh-another-one or blasé/condescending sort of  politeness,
but genuine nice.

I share his opinion regarding speculators and understand his cautiousness
and respect it. Maybe on that day on the day before he had been pestered
by impostors or tricked into signing things he then found for sale-- I have an
interview of  him where he tells about such an experience.
It's not blind enthusiasm, just trying to understand.

Final word: would such a man as described in Horizon's message care
about a mailing list and make a point of  and spend time answering every
single e-mail / letter he receives (and not with a standard ready-to-send reply,
mind you)?

Olivier