SV: digest #451

Bror.Hellman@partena.se Bror.Hellman at partena.se
Wed Mar 28 08:51:33 CEST 2001

> The trip from his home to Oakland takes
> a whole day.  The return trip takes
> another day.  The convention doesn't
> pay artists/writers an appearance fee,
> as it does movie/t.v. stars.  There are
> very few real duck fans in this area.
> So, there doesn't seem to be many re-
> wards for Don to attend.  Except maybe
> to put smiles on kids, to possibly
> create a lifelong duck fan or two, to
> see a few old friends, and maybe even
> purchase a comic book!

This sounds EXACTLY like the Don Rosa I have
had the fortune to meet in Sweden. I've seen
him here on a couple of conventions, and this
is the way Don was in Sweden ten years ago,
and every convention I've seen him since.

He usually took no breaks and even the hosts
were worried about him. It looked like he
tore himself out a bit, but it also looked
like he enjoyed it all immensely. And all
of this for a smile from a young comic-book-fan.

I am sure Don made a lot of Don Rosa fans in
the process!  I know he made one in me. :-)

        // Steamboat Willie