Dutch stories and Finnish weeklies

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Wed May 9 11:11:37 CEST 2001

Simo:

> in the 1990's Oberon/Disney Holland has produced only some
> 450-700 pages of new Disney comics per year.

I heard that the various publishers have a "page quotum" from Disney: VNU
(Holland) is supposed to produce 1000 pages a year; Egmont 5000 pages and
Italy 9000 pages. If I understood well, these quota are a minimum as well as
a maximum (with a margin, of course).

> In last year even the
> Dutch weekly "Donald Duck" published more pages from Egmont than
> Dutch pages!

They published lots of old Egmont stories that were still lying around. They
didn't know that they had not used them yet, but Inducks helped in finding
out.
So blame us Inducksers for all the bad Egmont stories in recent Dutch
weeklies...

> For some reason Dutch stories are not my favorites. I consider
> some of them being too aggressively violent

Interesting. Though I do not like the violence in most Italian stories, I
*do* like it in Dutch (Heymans) stories. Because they are so funnily drawn!

Anyway, I think that currently
- the best Dutch stories are better than the best Egmont stories (not
counting Mickey stories - we see very few of them here in Holland. And not
counting Rosa stories either - they're a different dimension...);
- the average Dutch story is just as dull as the average Egmont story;
- the worst Dutch stories are better than the worst Egmont stories (easy to
say, since Egmont is producing so much more).

> Let's just add here too that I'm a fan of Vicar/Branca/Murry/Tello/-
> Bancells/Santanach -stories...

Vicar is too dull these days. I never liked Tello that much, and
Bancells/Santanach art is something I really *dis*like...
Branca is (still) great!

--Harry.