Beagle Boys, Quizes

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Tue May 22 20:26:57 CEST 2001

(Sorry: hit the wring key & sent the message...)

Olaf:
I seem to remember a discussion about the missing Beagle number...
Here's a little more pondering on the Beagle Boys, inc. I posted this
on March 28 but it didn't seem to inspire any comments. Sorry for this
re-run, but I'd like to know your (everyone) opinion.

Why *would* the Beagle Boys call themselves in such away (numbers)?

0/    Yes, I remember Don Rosa's "Master of  the Mississippi and the
        dialogue p 20 panel 5:
        ($) "*Wait! Look!!* These are the awful *Beagle Boys*!" (panel 3)
        (BB 1-- no numbers yet) "" 'The Beagle Boys'! Catchy! simple, yet elegant!"
        (BB 2) "Not bad! Rolls off  the tongue!"

1/    They do have a name: Beagle.

2/    We know their grandfather's first name: Blackheart.
       Or is it rather a nickname? Sounds more like it.

3/    They surely must have first names, but perhaps got to calling each other
        by their numbers because dishonesty runs in the family and they all go to prison:
           a/ the number becomes a natural nickname
           b/ or rather (that's what I think) it is a proud proof  of  their being true
               Beagles, who live on that side of  the law; the first stretch in jail would then
               be sort of  a coming-of-age ritual
           c/ or maybe they were sent to jail so early in their lives and heard
               themselves called that way so often (that is, always) it seemed like their numbers
               were their natural / true names

4/    Or might they have been given numbers for names from the start?

5/    We don't a have a clue as regards their mother either.
       Could they have been born in prison? I wonder if  that was possible at the time.
       The only reference to a female Beagle character I know of  is in L&T chapter 10
       ("The invader of  Fort Duckburg"), p 7 panel 7:
               "Ma-- if'na  *posse* comes by, tell 'em you don't know nuthin' about no missing
               *cattle herd*!"
               "You think they'll *believe* me?"

6/    What do the "Mrs Beagle Boy"s do?
                      a/ stay at home (as in the example above)?
                      b/ have a gang of  their own ("The Beagle Girls")?    : )

6/    Dishonesty and robbery is the family's way of  life.
       Can you imagine the possibility of  there being a Li'l Bad Wolf  kind of  Beagle Boy
       that's honest?

Best wishes,

Olivier

PS # 1:
Working on Daniel's new quiz.
I know it, I know it, I know it-- but I can't place it!...

PS # 2: New quizes

1/   Quiz # 5a (Easy)
       "GCKFPT !"

2/    Quiz #5b (Easy?)
        "There's been dirty work at the woodpile!"