Carl Barks,Don Rosa and the other greats.

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Fri Nov 2 18:54:37 CET 2001

> From: Dim I Nticoudis [mailto:dimadick at hotmail.com]

Your name sounds Greek... And your e-mail address sounds almost like it came
from a Rowan Atkinson sketch... 8-)

> Kriton Kyrimis mentions this phrase "As with Don's Stories
> only numbers
> made up by Barks count in this game."Which excactly is this
> game?

My estimate is that about half of the Disney comics fans are Barks-only
fans. Maybe even more.
The work of Barks has been the most important. And he is the only Disney
comics creator that is known all over the world, and almost all his stories
were printed all over the world.

> Barks is surely among Disney's best creators.

For comics, I think he is *the* best. And the only one who had a large
production with a continuous high level of quality. (For instance Scarpa has
done some very good stories, but also some very bad ones.)

> I don't [think] Barks' ideas should
> be taken in consideration in many subjects of Disney
> [continuity] because he
> didn't seem to have seriously thought of such subjects.

Of course he hadn't. But a lot of people think it's fun to pretend he had
anyway. In Germany, they consider him the "messenger" of a real existing
world. (I think that's weird, but *they* think it's fun.)

> "Mr.Boring" and "Mr.Childish".
> I later learned theier names were Paul Murry
> and Tony Strobl.

8-)
Actually, both artists drew stories written by different writers. Therefore,
the quality of the stories varied a lot. My favourite writer on Strobl art
is Bob Gregory. And Murry drew some very good stories in the mid-60s,
written by a yet unknown person.

> Kriton the game you mentioned
> should be the study of many characters as developed and
> interpredated by a
> number of great creators over the years.We shouldn't forget
> that Barks is only one of them.

Kriton can, of course, define his own rules. It's *his* game. And Barks is
one of the many Disney comics creators, but he is definitely not *only* one
of them.

--Harry.
Harry Fluks, Leidschendam, The Netherlands
http://home.wxs.nl/~fluks4/