Quiz Show / coral barques

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Fri Nov 2 19:05:22 CET 2001

Shaun:

> Last night on a local TV quiz show (New Zealand that is),
> they asked the
> question "What is Uncle Scrooge's surname?"  I wasn't
> surprised that nobody knew the answer.

This reminds me of a Dutch quiz show, where they asked for the *middle* name
of Donald Duck!
It's Fauntleroy, which no-one in the show knew. But I was surprised that
they asked the question.

(By coincidence, Dutch DCML member Roy, who sometimes calls himself
FauntleRoy, is currently on holiday in New Zealand...)

> On the subject of names appearing in Don Rosa stories, there
> was also the
> mention of "Coral Barques". How was this reference handled in
> non-English translations?

In the Dutch translation, the final sentence in the panel "Yeah, I've
*heard* of coral barques!" was simply skipped. The remainder of the
conversation of the nephews was spread over the text balloons to fill the
gap.

In other stories, they sometimes used the literal translation of Carl Barks,
"Karel Blaft", as the name of a character.

--Harry.
"Ja, ik heb wel eens van koraalbarken gehoord."