Carl Barks,Don Rosa and the other greats.

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Mon Nov 5 09:53:43 CET 2001

DIM:

>   Kriton Kyrimis mentions this phrase "As with Don's Stories only numbers
> made up by Barks count in this game."Which excactly is this game?

Don's game, as you described, was to construct a plausible biography of
uncle Scrooge, based exclusively on facts presented by Barks.

My game was to figure out how many Beagle Boys there are, based on
what the artist who created them actually drew. If you expand this to
trying to figure out how many Beagle Boys were drawn by every artist
(or every good artist, with some definition of what "good" means), you
would be unable to answer it, as a) you'd have to have access to all
the stories where the Beagle Boys appeared, and b) the question would
be more or less equivalent to "how many numbers are there", to which
the answer is known and boring.

It's easy to say "artist Massimo Van Strobl drew Beagle Boy 123456",
but it is a lot harder to find a 41st Beagle drawn by Barks. (There
could well be; I don't know if my search was so thorough that I didn't
miss anything.)

As for being a Barks only fan, that I most certainly am not!  If anything,
Barks is the artist whose stories I like to read the least these days,
as I've had an overdose of them!  I love the work of many of the artists
that you mention (though I didn't care much for Rota's "Money Ocean",
which you mention), including that of "Mr. Boring". My favorites at the
moment are Scarpa, Gatto, Carpi, and Pier Lorenzo De Vita, with soft
spots for certain stories by Capitanio and Bramante.  And I don't need
to mention the special esteem I have for the work of a certain member
of this list, do I? ;;-)

It's funny that you should begin your talk about other artists by
mentioning Scarpa's "Colosso del Nilo". According to David Gerstein,
it was my (long) letter to Gladstone, requesting that particular story,
which resulted in the eventual printing of the story in the US, earning me
a guest appearance in a story for which David wrote the American script.
(Check out http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis/us312.html !)

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"How can anyone rewrite history when no one can even read it properly?"
-----