Disney stuff on the web

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 8 14:32:23 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Olaf Solstrand" <harryklein at hotmail.com>
To: <dcml at stp.ling.uu.se>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 6:48 PM
Subject: Disney stuff on the web
OLAF SOLSTRAND WROTE:

> As you may recall, I have a Duckburg homepage in Norwegian. Now, I wonder
> what I have to do so that I can HAVE the page there without breaking the
> law.
>
> Facts about the site:
> - I have TONS of pictures of Disney characters on it
> - ALL the pages are marked "All pictures and images of Disney characters
on
> these pages are copyright © The Walt Disney Company." However, I have NOT
> been in contact with the Walt Disney Company or anyone else.
> - I do not, in ANY way, earn money on the site. (that includes *no*
> banners.)

AND I REPLY:

Well, the Scrooge McDuck Page has been in existence (and practically
unchanged, I'm afraid) since summer of 1996.  No nasty cease-and-desist
letters from Mouse lawyers yet.  I simply placed a disclaimer on the home
page that all images and characters belong to Disney, as you state in yours,
and that the purpose of the site is to encourage readership of Disney
comics.  Fair use laws are interpreted quite loosely on the Internet, and
about the only time I have ever seen sites go down by request or force is
because of outright plagiarism or defamation, neither of which apply to your
pages.

Your efforts fall into the same category as mine, so don't lose sleep over
it.  If your site ever should attract the attention of Disney Company, I
would treat it as a compliment and great honor!  So far, that hasn't
happened to me.

Dan Shane
(danshane at bellsouth.net)
http://personal.sdf.bellsouth.net/sdf/d/a/danshane/scroopage/scroohome.htm