Disney stuff on the web

Ari Seppi mani at iki.fi
Thu Nov 8 08:57:09 CET 2001

Olaf:

[I'm not any kind of expert on these matters, but I'll try to answer your
question.]

>As you may recall, I have a Duckburg homepage in Norwegian. Now, I wonder
>what I have to do so that I can HAVE the page there without breaking the law.

There is a concept of fair use. So basically you have right to use Disney
pictures on your home page. The problem is that - especially with pictures
- the line between fair and unfair use is fickle.

To give some definitive examples a gallery of Disney pictures is probably
never fair use, but a 10-paged review of a comic book with one panel to
illustrate the article always is (and no, the review doesn't have to be 10
pages long and there can be more illustrative panels, I just wanted to give
an absolute example).

So the one thing you can do is creating enough of your own contents on
every page with pictures. (And, of course, take care that all of the
pictures on the site are connected to the text on the page they are on.)

>If someone connected to WDC - or the police - finds this page, will they
>force me into removing it? What can I do to make the site legal?

I believe the police (or even WDC) isn't that interested in the fan sites.
If WDC sometimes gets interested to clean the Internet they probably first
attack sites about movies, and still aren't so interested in comics. After
all, comics are only read by some strange backward tribes across the ocean.

--
Ari Seppi (mani at iki.fi)
http://www.iki.fi/mani/