About the Twin Towers of Duckburg, again

Blasco Pisapia blascopisapi at pop.libero.it
Fri Nov 16 19:17:09 CET 2001

Hi all!

Apart from Don's story, there is a much older reference to Twin Towers.
I'm talking about I TL 986-A ( "Paperino e la gara dei grattacieli",
by Siegel and Scala)

  ***SPOILER ALERT***

Actually, in this story Scrooge and J. D. Rockerduck must build two
identical towers, one in front of the other. He who will complete his
building in less time, will gain the property of both towers. Half a
disaster.

  ***END OF SPOILER***

I have a very pale memory of this story, since I read it in my
childhood ( oct 1974), but what stroke me was the strange style in
which the two towers were fashioned, half way between baroque and
déco. Very Scala-ish, indeed.

It is also interesting to point out that, when this story appeared,
the WTC was still being completed, and it was not a familiar part of
NYC skyline as it has been for nearly 30 years since .

Strange things  happen in Disney comics...

Best wishes
Blasco