Fethry and,Duckburg and reason in fantasy.

Dim I Nticoudis dimadick at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 23:32:38 CET 2001

  The original Martina script of "The Blot's Double Mustery" said that the
Blot's plan was to have Mickey murder O'Hara?Then why wasn't O'Hara in his
bed while Mickey stamped it with the knife?The greek translation says that
an unknown informer tipped off O'Hara who hided nearby to watch who was
going to make the attempt.The informer is presumed to be the Blot.What is
the italian version?
  Armando said that some early Fethry stories were little mastrerpieces.I
persume he means stories like the enjoyable "The Health Nut"(S 64008) by
Dick Kinney and Al Hubbard.Yes this stories presented Fethry as a character
who was trying to find an alternative way of living based on the books he
was reading.The contast of his ideas with Donald's made this stories
interesting.There is even one,whose name I do not know,who places
"poor"hunter and fisherman Donald against the fanatic,ecologist Fethry
determined not to let his cousin enjoy his vacation.This story's point of
view against ecology made it funny.But any interest of the character was
lost when the later creators presented him as a common idiot.
  The comparison of Super Scrooge to Paperinika doesn't seem to
fit.Paperinika is a motivated character while Scrooge's super-powers added
nothing to his personalitie and are forgetable.
  As for Duckburg being in U.S.A we didn't need Rosa's stories to be
informed of it.My introduction to Donald before I learned how to read was
Donald's World War II cartoons with him serving in the U.S.A army.So the
idea that he and most of the characters he was associated with were
Americans wasn't introduced to me by Rosa.I just thought the Ducks lived in
California(after reading Barks "In Old California") and not in Calisota.
  I do not get what is the point of telling that it is all a fable or a
fairy-tale.I am used to searching the historical truth behind fables and
fairy-tales by either searching for their origins,the concepts they carry on
or their connection to true historical facts.After searching all the
geneological trees and timelines of greek mythologie it gets to be a
habit.The only think you have to do to understand a fable is to understand
its particular logic.
  And as fore some particular stories mentioned they have their own sence of
logic."The Secret of Atlantis" explains how the Atlantean civilasation
survived and how its people evolved into a new species.It is not more
irrational than Plato's tale of the Atlanteans battling the Atheneans
c10.000 BC.Though the story is not very original since it reminds me of
Marvels'version of Atlantis in the stories of the character Namor,the
Sub-Mariner(1939).
  Trala-La is just another isolated society circled by mountains.Not much to
disbelief in.And it is more realistic that H.G.Wells' "The Country of the
Blind" which deals with another society of this type that survived for
centuries despite the blidness of its citizens.And Mr.Rosa gave Trala-La a
past explaining it is the old Xanadu(though my version of Britanica says the
later is in Mongolia).
  Even Magica DeSpell's version of magic is based in the old belief that man
can learn how to manipulate the forces of nature.More logical than
cooperation with divine beings.
  The stories that are mentioned have their logical explanations thanks to
the work of their creators.But a character surviving the centuries without
any explaination of his longevity such as Snow White and her step-mother in
Duck stories has to accept critic.And there isn't a story in which anything
could happen.There aren't unlimited possibilities.Every fantasy has its
rules which define her.And any fantasy world that anybody could imagine is
always based on our own world and its rules.