Paperin Fracasse and perspectives

Ari Seppi mani at iki.fi
Sat Nov 24 09:29:05 CET 2001

Petri:
>True, it definitely doesn't make any sense what so ever :-) That's one
>part of its goodness. I've always liked stories where anything might
>happen.

I'll agree with Petri. About the goodness of Double Mystery and
about stories where almost anything can happen not being
automatically poor. The concept of Disney-comics itself drops
away a whole lot of realism so some more doesn't matter that
much.

However, the thing I don't like is dropping away the credibility.
(Right now I can't think of any example to give about this.)

>Again, here's a difference how we read stories. I never thought, as a kid,
>that Duckburg was in USA, or in Finland either. It was in some undefined
>place, where you would mountains, seas, forests and deserts if you wanted.

I don't remember what I thought about Duckburg's location
as a kid. I might have thought it was in Finland before I read
I TL  800-A, I TL  801-A (Zio Paperone e il drakkar volante),
where Scrooge doesn't know where Oslo is (He does know
where Norway is since they "sell awfully lot of herring to
all countries" :-) ).

>Reading Rosa's stories I think Duckburg is in the USA, but when I
>start to read some old story like this, it never bothers me. Duckburg is
>now somewhere else, where forests and castles exist.

I, again, agree with Petri.

--
Ari Seppi (mani at iki.fi)
http://www.iki.fi/mani/