Pirate Gold by Barks & Hannah - and one Paul murry story

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Tue Nov 27 10:10:35 CET 2001

Simo, Kriton:

> > I noticed there's a funny connection between the Pirate
> > Gold story with one story Paul Murry draw in the early
> > 1960's.
>
> The "Pirate Gold" story was based on the plot of a cartoon that was
> never filmed. From what I remember from an old Gladstone article,
> this plot was reused several times, including a Peter Pan and a Woody
> Woodpecker story!!!

The Peter Pan story is from PP's Treasure Chest (Inducks code W PPTC  1-07).
Americans: this story was reprinted in Gladstone's WDC Digest #2.

There's *another* Duck comic adaptation of that same story, again drawn by
Jack Hannah! "Donald Duck and the Pirates" (Inducks code W CGW W 1-01) was
published in a giveaway, Cheerios Premiums, set W, issue 1, of 1947. (This
is the same series that has Barks' "Atom Bomb".)

> Presumably, the Murry story that you mention is one more such story.

Naw, the plot is different. It's only some elements in the story that are
similar.
This reminds me of other cases where some gags in Murry stories were
directly taken from Mickey movies. Maybe the writer worked for the movie
story department, and re-used some old ideas.

--Harry.