Where Scrooge lives

Tommi Perkola matope at uta.fi
Sun Jan 13 08:32:42 CET 2002

Ari Seppi wrote:
> To summarize my post: Rosa ducks in the US, others where ever.

That was the point, about which I criticized Rosa about a year ago in
sfnet.harrastus.kulttuuri.sarjakuvat. In European tradition Duckburg is
located "somewhere near", or in its own universum.

This is something a US citizen might not think about, but while you're
reading daily comics like Peanuts or Dilbert, you don't specifically
locate them anywhere. These comics are entertaining, because they
resemble readers' daily life in humorous way, and adding too many strict
indications of stories' milieu or geographical situation would spoil
their universality.

For someone who lives in the same country this isn't a problem, but in
another country or continent it is. Now disney comics are all originally
situated in USA, but majority of them both read and drawn abroad. It is
said, that italian Duckburg is an amalgamation of an American big city
and italian smalltown. For example Chierchini's Duckburg looks more like
Paris than any American city.

If you're grown reading italian disney, an American who both locates
Duckburg in American west coast, sets their time to fifties and admits,
he doesn't know anything about euroducs seems bit, eh, arrogant, like
"To hell with thousands of pages euroducs produced in last 50 years!"

--
http://www.tampere.fi/ytoteto/viisto_kuvat/jpg/21027.jpg