"Needless and irritating details"

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Fri Jan 18 10:07:24 CET 2002

Per Christian to Paulo:

> >Don Rosa in my opinion is the exact opposite of Barks
> >in this respect. His later stories give too much
> >importance (still again IMO) on the Ducks' history,
> >settings and so on. The stories are good, but they
> >come with extremely long explanations of everything in
> >the Duck family, Duckburg. The stories suffer of this.
>
> That is the exact opposite of my opinion. It is the details
> and explanations
> that makes Dons stories appealing to me.

The details and explanations are a very nice extra. But they should be not
more than that: an extra for the reader who appreciates them. One should be
able to read and enjoy a story without having to go through all the details.
Don is sometimes going too far w.r.t. that, IMO.

--Harry.
(Who recently learned something about crusaders by reading half a Rosa
story...)