Translation example

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Fri Jan 18 10:01:42 CET 2002

L. Schulte:

> A cowboy asks him at the same time for a
> donation to a party for "cowboys who can't yodel".  In German
> the cowboy asks for a donation for the "Small Animal Breeders
> Society" (Kleintierzüchterverein), a word that I assume seems
> fairly ridiculous in German, but is not on the same level as
> "cowboys who can't yodel"  (Cowboys, die nicht jodeln können).

I think your point was that the German texts were *better* ("more
literary"). Is that is so, I don't understand this example. The
Kleintierzüchterverein does not sound funny to me (I do know some German),
while the non-yodeling cowboys are hilarious.

--Harry.
(Dutch: "Bejaarde [= old timer] cowboys die niet kunnen jodelen")