Grandma's Name

bi442@lafn.org bi442 at lafn.org
Sat Jan 19 04:35:09 CET 2002

Thanks Don, for the reference.  I know the WDC secondary story you found
Grandma referred to as "Elviry" was NOT WDC 132, whose Grandma Duck story was
drawn by Barks.  So, it must have been one of the other Western Pub. writers
and artists.  I am curious to know in which WDC issue it was printed.

Your reference has now jogged my brain.  I seem to remember Grandma referred to
as "Elviry" in Al Taliaferro's Donald Duck strip (I believe it was in a late
1930s strip.  It makes sense that HE might have named her, as he was in on the
introduction of various characters to the Duck universe.  Can anyone enlighten
us on this matter?

Three cheers for Soeren!!!!  I second his comments on the opinion that we have
beat to death the argument over the colour of coins and other small details.
There are enough Disney Duck story pages printed each month to please both
the "purists"  and the "laissez faire" (wider taste) fans.  Let us move on, eh?

Theories on where the Duck universe is (with Hamburger Donaldist-style
scientific proofs) might be more interesting.  I like the(Ernst Horst's?)
theory that the Duck universe is a view of the future of the Earth after a
nuclear (notice I don't write "NUCULAR") holocaust.  The humans have suffered
in adapting to the new environment.  Luckily, mutations have ocurred to allow
them to survive, and prosper, as Ducklike people, Doglike people, piglike
people, etc.  They suffered several million years of animal like existence,
during which natural selection operated again.  The old civilisation of mankind
disappeared.  Improbable as it is, the new forms of life progressed enough to
return to levels of civilisation that mimicked the old days of the last few
thousand years of human history.  Any comments???  8-:  Rob Klein