Disney comic stories for the young/adult readers only?

Simo Malinen malines24 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 20 12:19:45 CET 2002

ROB KLEIN:
>I want to point out that Italian Disney comics were not the only
>high-quality European new comic productions in the 1970s and 1980s.
>Oberon's (Dutch Disney's) stories drawn by Daan Jippes, Freddy Milton, Ben
>Verhagen, Jan Gulbransson, Michel Nadorp, Volker Reiche, Marc deJonge,
>Jules Coenen, Mau Heymans and others set a very high quality standard.
>From what I've seen of the English language Indian comic ... random stories
>seemingly aimed at very young audiences. The stories I saw were not very
>inspired, and were very simple plots.  The artwork was run-of-the-mill
>"Spanish Studio" work -  mostly Millet, Xavi, Alfarez, Torres, Santanache,
>and that ilk. There was no Rosa, Van Horn, Branca, Jippes, Milton, Noel Van
>Horn, Rota, etc.

Maybe some stories are produced for the different age groups? Perhaps all
readers do not want to update their Encylopedia Britannica series by the
facts found from Disney comics?

If looking at those "high quality Dutch stories" I think some of them are
aimed especially for the more grown up readers. Occasionally there is
so exaggerated violence that it could be too upsetting for the younger
readers. What you think about these?:

http://www.geocities.com/gearlost/tmp/h82035.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/gearlost/tmp/h93066.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/gearlost/tmp/h78dd04a.jpg

- -
And what are you meaning by "the very high quality standards" ?

I guess in this case "quality" should mean the artwork and the story
together.
Even Barks didn't succeeded both every time. Sometimes a great story is
destroyed by a poor artwork - and on the contrary. But in most cases a
fairly good story is having a fairly good artwork. Maybe it isn't changing
our views of the life or the universum but it's "just" a Disney comic story.

And sometimes even with those high quality comic producers the level of
the quality have been collapsed directly to the land beyond the ground.

Italian Giuseppe Perego draw many stories still in the 1970's. We know
his quality. The styles of artists such as Franco Lostaffa, Guido Scala or
Sergio Asteriti aren't fascinating everyone. In the 80's cheap studios like
Bargada and Comicup started to produce lots Italian stories. How about the
quality there?

Same goes with Dutch stories too. I placed some other scanned samples here:

http://www.geocities.com/gearlost/011.htm

In some cases I can't tell these high-quality Dutch panels from the S coded
junk stories drawn by Jaime Diaz Studios in the 80's. Often the storyline is
in the woods and the artist has lost his interest for the work totally.

Besides some of those Dutch artists you listed have not drawn Disney
stories for years or decades (Reiche, Coenen, de Jonge) - or their
production have been really minimal during the 90's (Verhagen, Gulbransson)
"Spanish Studios" are drawing a quite high number of Dutch stories nowadays
apparently by those very high Dutch quality standards?

Bah. I just want to point out that no matter how high we think the quality
standards are/were with some Disney comic producers. Almost every story
looks very poor if compared to Carl Barks's work.
If in the 80's some U.S. editors would have been more concerned about the
quality Don Rosa's first story would have never been published.

BTW - Please, if you write namelists of artists, writers, ... you dislike -
make a spell check in case of typing errors. Looks much less ilk then!

- Simo (a fan of Danish Disney stories)