A question about Disney comics in the US

Pietro Reynaud-Bersanino reynaud at inwind.it
Sun Jan 27 19:13:41 CET 2002

In DCML digest, Vol 1 #816 deanmary <msalony at mail.wvnet.edu> wrote:

>     [...] lets imagine that Disney grants Diamond a license and they make
> not even one *penny* out of it; they just come out even.

Let us suppose that an American Disney Fan spends an X ammount of dollar$
every mount, if he use his money to buy thinks (puppets, videos, etc.) from
which Disney makes profit ... than Disney makes profit ^__^, if the same
person spend the same money in thinks from which Disney does not make
profit ... than Disney does not make profit ^__^

>  Even if Disney doesn't make a single cent from it, wouldn't they
>still come out "ahead" in the sense that the new Disney comics in stores
>would be a
>form of free advertisement for Disney and the Disney characters?  One
>thing Disney
>seems *very* concerned about is having its characters out in the public
>and on just
>about every type of merchandise possible.  I realize that to Disney having its
>characters on comic books would be a drop in the bucket compared to all
>its other
>publicity.

Mikey, Donald or $crooge are not "virtual", their value came from the work
of lot of people, is a real value, is money ... if Disney would give it for
free, IMHO, it should have some consequences in the Stock Exchange.
If you

>However, isn't a drop in the bucket better than nothing?  Disney is a
>very greedy company I will grant you, but they do not appear to be a stupid
>company.  Why would they turn away from the opportunity to have a tiny bit
>more of
>Disney publicity by just granting a license?  Perhaps someone on the list
>who better
>understands Disney's viewpoint on things could enlighten me about this.  I
>look
>forward to hearing someone's answer to this.

If you grant a license you have to control the licensee in order he do not
cause damage to you. You have to spend money to control the licensee.

I hope you can appreciate my opinions.
Sorry for may bad "consecutio temporum! and
Ciao from the sunny Lake of Bracciano
Pietro