Mickey and Donald

Luca Boschi cnotw at zen.it
Sun Jan 27 17:53:16 CET 2002

Hi, all!
Well, I agree with Don Rosa about Steve Geppi as the last chance to have
good comic books back in the USA market.

But, I am also happy that Mickey, Donald, Chief O'Hara, the Blot, Goofy and
other characters are still living, if not in the USA comics, at least in the
USA TV shows.
I also hope that "House of Mouse" could be able to revive some interests in
the "standard" Disney world. I've watched it them thru all the world, even
in the Southafrican Zulu villages (I'm not kidding!), at the people's house
where (GLOM!) a TV set was affordable, obviously...

About the merchandising purposes... I know that here, in some European
countries, Mickey and Donald (and the other members of the crew) are still
much more popular than, say, Pocahontas, or Mulan, or the brand new Atlantis
bunch. And I'm sure that more licenses (for stationery, shirts, puppets,
role games and so on) concerning DD & MM are sold for the big number of fans
that the characters have (and that Winnie the Pooh or the features' heroes
don't have; except the 7 Dwarfs or Pinocchio, maybe).

This situation is determined by the long tradition about "Topolino" and
"Paperino"'s comics: the big amount of publications we have (I speak about
Italy, peculiarly) and the large, very large production of new stories
created every year for the comics magazines which are translated into many
other languages.

So, even comics can be the reason of "big profits", directly or not.

L.