Calendar stuff

Kjell Croné kjell.crone at ifsworld.com
Mon Jan 28 16:59:05 CET 2002

Kriton :
> I was under the impression that when switching
> from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar,
> both days and dates were skipped, ...

OT, but quite funny:
The Gregorian calendar was introduced 1582-1587 in the Catholic parts of
Europe.
In the Protestant parts, around year 1700 (except Great Britain (of course
:-), 1752)
And 1915-1923 in the Orthodox parts.

There might be some other exceptions,
but Sweden is a really strange exception.

In 1699 they decided to switch to the Gregorian calendar by removing one day
each year.
It started by skipping the leap day in 1700.
But in 1701 the decision was revoked and for some years we had a calendar
that wasn't used anywhere else in the world.
In 1712 we switched back to the Julian calendar, by adding a day!
So we had 30 days in February 1712.
In 1753 we finally switched to the Gregorian calendar, after Feb. 17 came
March 1.

Many people disliked this, since the goverment had stolen 11 days of their
lives.

kjell