DCML digest #818

Shad Z. shadz at email.com
Thu Jan 31 02:15:19 CET 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Paulo Barrez <maurepas0002 at yahoo.com>

> > > As we know $crooge prefer nutmeg tea but smurfs
> > > ("Schtroumpf" comics by the
> > > belgian Peyo) eat sarsaparilla. That's a reference
> > > to smurf.
> >
> > Sorry to disappoint you, but no, it's not. I have
> > never read a Smurf comic (or seen a cartoon)...
> > I have no idea what they drink or do. But
> > sarsaparilla is simply what people drank at American
> soda-fountains and saloons 100+ years ago.
>
> I think most of those who know Peyo's Sumrfs (and
> there are quite a lot of them here in Europe) will
> take it for a reference to the Smurfs. "Sarsaparilla"
> is one of the best known element of the Smurfs'
> universe. This is almost a synonym of the series.
> That's an unintentional reference, I would say.

In the American English version of the Smurfs, I don't
remember 'sarsaparilla' being a signiture drink.  The
translators/adaptors must have changed it (probably to
'smurfberry juice' or something smurfy like that).
--

Shad Z.                      ^Q^
(ShadZ at rocketmail.com,ShadZ at email.com,Jackalope7 at go.com)