DCML digest, Vol 1 #991 - 19 msgs

Stefan Persson reimersholme at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 7 22:13:01 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Bubacz" <frankbubacz at hotmail.com>
To: <ramapith at mail.dk>; <dcml at stp.ling.uu.se>
Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2002 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: DCML digest, Vol 1 #991 - 19 msgs

David>Given the way that the translations from each country read, it appears
that
David>each country translated the story from the previous country's
translation!
David>(So Erika Fuchs did not, I can only suppose, always work from
English.)
Frank>I still can't really believe it, but now that you say it I remember
that in
Frank>the very first Barks tenpager that was released in the German Micky
Maus
Frank>(WDC 95) HDL's piggy bank has their Danish names Rip,Rap&Rup on it.
This
Frank>seems to be another evidence!

Another evidence is the Swedish name of Scrooge McDuck: in the first story
where he appeared in Scandinavia, the Barks 10-pager in WDC 98, he was
called "farbror Gamle Rike Pär" (="uncle Old Rich Man," a Swedish pun) in
Sweden and "onkel Joakim" (="uncle Joakim") in Denmark.  The next time he
appeared in Sweden, he carried the name "farbror Joakim," suggesting that
the Swedish translation was made from Danish.  This matter was discussed
some time ago on the Swedish Ankism list, and that is where I got part of
the information above.

Stefan