Mickey pages on ebay from 1931

DGE@ECN.egmont.com DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Mon May 13 13:41:03 CEST 2002

	Hey, everyone:

	The proper eBay link is really
	http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2101993493

	But do read the descriptions carefully, guys. As far as I can tell,
these are not original art. They are simply two loose, black and white
interior pages (i. e. "plates") from a Mickey Mouse Annual, which someone
has extracted and professionally colored in by hand. Note how the pages are
described as being "colored only on one side" - i. e. there are other comics
on the back side of each page, as is usually the case with torn-out pages
from a book.
	The seller may not have intended to misrepresent what he's selling,
but a better description would be "two pages, originally black-and-white,
cut out of a printed copy of a 1934 Mickey Mouse book, colored with pencils
by the original owner."
	I'm afraid I could make pages exactly like this, by tearing apart my
own copies of the Annuals and coloring them myself. Maybe I should do that,
as they seem to command a high price. >:-(

>The first four Mickey Mouse Annuals (1930 - 1933) have been very carefully
>indexed by David Gerstein, and the two items shown on eBay do not appear
>there; however, the one titled "Surprising!" has been reprinted in Italy,
in
>issue #147 of "Topolino Giornale". TG 147 was published on October 20,
1935,
>so the item might have been originally included in the 1934 Annual - but
>that's just a guess, of course...

	You're right!
	I lately acquired MMA 5 (1934), and have not had a chance to index
it yet. However, I looked through my copy and yep, both "Surprising!" and
"Stranger Still" are there.
	Interesting to see that TG reprinted the Annual strips. Oberon also
reprinted some of them in the late 1970s in their weekly's "ditjes en
datjes" pages.

	* * * * *

	Only slightly related:
	I'll be selling a couple of Annuals on eBay myself in the coming
weeks; I have some extra copies of #1 and #4 that I'm looking to unload, as
I've gotten better copies for my own collection. If people are interested in
bidding on them, I can send out a message to DCML when I put them on sale.

	David