Gyro's first success

Jussi Mantere jmantere at niksula.hut.fi
Tue May 14 10:06:14 CEST 2002

On 14 May 2002 halvor at sandven.net wrote:

> I really loved Rosa's story about Gyro's first success, celebrating his first
> 50 years. What puzzles me a bit, is that in the story, Gyro is celebrating
> something himself too. What could this be? It certainly cannot be the same
> thing that WE celebrate. This would be a time-paradox. I liked the idea of

The answer is actually trivial. In the beginning of the story, the time is
N years (where 1<N<2, I can't remember?:) after the time when the actual
story takes place. Donald and the nephews are sitting in the park,
watching Gyro walk by, and then they start reminiscing the time when they
helped Gyro start his inventing career. Time-leap, sort of, but not really
paradoxal IMO :)

> The first thing is Gyro's appearance. In the first Gyro-stories by Barks, his
> hair is quite different. It's longer, and cut in another way. In Rosa's story
> Gyro has the appearance of later stories. Why is this so? Wasn't Rosa allowed
> to draw Gyro the original way? Another thing, when reading Barks story about

Of course I don't know the real reason, but my guess is that Rosa draws
Gyro the way he wants to - and that is the way he looks in most of the
stories. After all, the "early Gyro" by Barks looked different just
because Barks hadn't yet decided how to make him look.

> the think-box, I get the impression that Donald doesn't really know Gyro, only
> by reputation. Donald thinks Gyro's a nut, and he doesn't want his nephews to
> help him. Isn't this a bit strange, considering that Donald knows at this time
> that Gyro helped Scrooge with his big problem?

Valid point:) Don, I seem to see a reason here for another story
explaining the change in Donald's attitude :)

> These things are only minor questions, not complains. The story was, as always
> by Rosa, very good, and I'm looking forward to his next story.

And I'm looking forward to read the end of this story. That darn Aku Ankka
publishes it in parts :)

 -jussi
--
. jussi mantere