Gyro, Helper, Walt & Carl

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sat May 25 19:50:05 CEST 2002

Greetings, fellow Donaldists, Mickeyists and Barksists!

For Sigvald, regarding Gyro's Inventor's Prize:

In US Nr. 27 (Sept.-Nov. 1959), "The Firefly Tracker" by Barks, Gyro won First
Prize at "Duckburg's Inventors' Congress".  Although that Congress was held in
Duckburg, and clearly sponsored by Duckburgian representatives, - it was open
to the "Best Minds in the World". Its promoters told Gyro to do his best
to "Bring honour, renown and World fame to Duckburg".

For Theresa, regarding Gyro's Helper's head:

Carl Barks introduced "Helper" and gave him his first appearance in US Nr.14
(Sept.-Nov. 1956)(story about noisy cats and Gyro's Language Translator).
Helper was drawn by Barks from the very first, as a "semi-roundish", apparantly
clear, apparantly thin-glassed bulb, with a light filament, and a small point
at the top.  This makes it very clear to me that he meant it to be a simple
light bulb, and NOT a vacuum tube. The light filament is the squiggly line
inside the tube (which is supposed to be a thin copper? wire conductor). Vacuum
tubes usually had many more and larger parts visible (in clear tubes, and
nothing visable in the common "frosted tubes").  Anodes, cathodes, control
grids, transistors, etc. were visible through clear vacuum tubes; whereas, all
that would be visible (in most cases)in the ordinary light bulb would have been
the wire filament. Although vacuum tubes came in all shapes and sizes
(sometimes even faintly reminiscent of light bulbs), they generally were
cylinderical and longer, or much fatter, or larger at the tops.  They almost
always looked very different from the ordinary light bulb Barks attempted to
portray. Very convincing evidence that Barks intended Helper's head to be a
simple light bulb is the threaded screw-in node on the bottom of the bulb. It
is the old North American fitting that works together with the old North
American setting that holds light bulbs into electric lamps.  I have been
around since the 1940s, during the last part of the heyday of Vacuum Tubes.  I
seem to remember that they generally had vertical prongs protruding out of
their bottoms, which fit into small, rectangular or round holes in a fitting
terminal(which has since been replaced with a circuitboard).  Vacuum tubes did
not have the screw-in style, threaded fittings that ordinary light bulbs had.
If this is not enough circumstantial evidence for you, I have even more
compelling evidence.  Carl, himself, admitted to me, upon my suggestive
question, that the light bulb head was inspired by the old comic strip
conventional symbolic use of a light bulb flashing above the head of a
character when he came up with a great idea.

Actually, logic tells me that the vacuum tube might have worked better! It
controls electron flow to amplify radio waves and change from alternating to
direct current. This might be thought of as Helper's "thinking process" moreso
than just the heating of electrons on his lightbulb filament and the giving off
of electrons to make the light.  But, I guess either of the two types of bulbs
could be considered "reasonable" for Helper's head.  We must consider that
Helper can function to a certain degree WITHOUT his head attached. When it
broke, and when the filament burnt out, he was coherent enough to go fetch the
replacement bulb and put it on.  Can we assume that without his "head" Helper
can perform rudimentary "instinctive" operations; but he needs his head on and
filament heating to do "complex thinking"?

Regarding Walt Disney being cognisant of Carl Barks' comic book work:

I believe that Walt Disney did know about Carl Barks' comic book work for
Western Publishing (at least during the 1940s).  As Carl told me, and I also
read in books by other studio employees, Walt had his eyes on every aspect of
his Studio's business (at least through the mid to late 1940s).  It is true,
that as the scope of Disney Studios' production increased exponentially in the
late 1940s, he was able to oversee less and less.  However, even though he did
delegate more and more authority to others, he still kept at least a cursory
watch on most aspects of company production for quality control and to protect
the company's image.  He knew Carl Barks personally from his entry into the
Studios in 1935 as an in-betweener, and his quick transfer to the Story
Department.  Walt used to make impromptu visits to every story artist (sneaking
up behind them and looking over their shoulders). He also had much contact with
carl from his many story presentation meetings.  Walt had always believed the
Disney comic strips should go hand-in-hand with his film work to provide
another outlet to help promote it.  He gave Gottfredson much leeway in running
that department, but continued to keep an eye on what was done there. "Mickey
Mouse Magazine" was treated in the same way. He definately kept an eye on its
production quality and content.  He was involved in the final decision to
change the magazine format to a comic book format in 1940, and to have
Whitman's Western Publishing subsidiary handel the publisheing (Whitman already
handled Disney's book publishing). I am sure Walt must have been aware of the
decision to produce new comic book stories to test the marketability of the
comic book format. He must have been aware of Carl's having worked on the Pluto
and Donald Duck Four Color Comic releases done by studio staff.  As the
coordination with Western Publishing was handled by Gottfredson and the Comic
Strip department, Walt must have been informed that Carl (one of his most
prolific ex-storymen) was now drawing the Donald Duck stories for Western
(1943).  Gottfredson would have had to show Walt examples of the Western
product from time to time, at least during the first few years.  After World
War II, Walt probably had no time to keep an eye on such things, other than
being given annual sales figures, and considering the renewal of contracts with
Western.  He must have known, however, that Carl Barks was still working for
Western.  He must also have found out that Barks was the inventor of Uncle
Scrooge, and that Uncle Scrooge gave the Disney Comics much popularity. This
might have occurred when Walt was in on the meetings regarding using Uncle
Scrooge in his own cartoon in 1955. He could have made the connection regarding
Barks through information from Chase Craig to the representatives of Western
who dealt with Gottfredson; and then from Gottfredson to Walt.

Rob Klein