DCML digest, Vol 1 #941 - 11 msgs (Sigvald: Gyro)

Olaf Solstrand harryklein at hotmail.com
Sun May 26 00:39:26 CEST 2002

>Somewhere I've read that Gyro Gearloose once recieved
>a Nobel price. Is this a Barks fact? And if so, what
>kind of Nobel price was it?
>
>Best regards from
>Sigvald :-)

My guess is that you read it on my website. This is not a Barks fact - in
fact I've never really read that Gyro recieved a Nobel prize. But in the
story Romano Scarpa wrote for the 1988 Seoul Olympics (in Norway published
in Donald Pocket 88), he recieved a Snobbel prize or something in that style
(and he recieved it in the famous Scandinavian capital Stockfisk). It was
none of the five ordinary prizes, but a brand new prize, and Gyro was the
first person to ever recieve one of these. (I don't remember the exact
title, but it was something really, really weird that the Snobbel Comitee
had decided to start with). As I'm very fond of Gyro, and absolutely think
that he deserves a Nobel Prize (and I think he would have recieved one if he
was alive), I added this to my list. Except that I, because of my (and
yours) Duckburg-time-perspective, couldn't let this happen in 1988 - so I
changed it a teensie-weensie.

You could say that the main reason I added this to _my_ list has nothing to
do with a story at all, it's just because Gyro is the greatest inventor I
know, and he really deserves a prize like this (yeah, I know - Unca Barks
never got the Litterature prize. I think he deserved one, too). And even
though he may never have recieved a Nobel prize, he's recieved plenty of
Snobel prizes and things like that. So I can tell you 99% sure that it's NOT
a Barksian fact.

Olaf

Congratulations to all Latvians on the list (?), even though my favorite
through the entire voting process was Malta :)