Christmas Spirit

Anders Christian Siveb¾k anders_sivebaek at nns.dk
Tue Nov 5 22:12:16 CET 2002

NILS

>I have only been on the list for a few months, so I don't know if this
>has
>been discussed before:
i am not sure - i know that we have talked about the matter on either the
norwegian or swedish list about
this topic.

>Every December I read A Christmas for Shacktown and all the other Barks
>Christmas classics. It's a tradition. This year I'll read them to my
>grandson for the first time (he is four).
What an extremely nice tradition! I wish i had a son to do the same to.

>I seem to remember another great Christmas story which was very much in
>the
>Barks spirit. Donald is a forest ranger and tries desperateley to get
>home
>for Christmas. I think it was drawn by Vicar. Does anybody know the story
>code?
I'm glad my friends here helped with that.

I seem to remember how Christmas in my youth was always made extra special
by the
Duck weekly.
On the cover, Donald was wearing an elf-hat (you know, red with white band)
Inside every splash panel was somehow filled with christmas spirit. Holly,
mistletoe, balls
and stars, snow - all those small things that make the spirit.
i especially remember (and recommend) A letter to Santa (CP 1 by ol' Carl)
-
I read two parts of it in the middle fot he 80'es and all over are these
bits of hollies, balls and such.
Between panels - the guy knew how to make us feel the spirit. I later
found the last part,
and I remember wuite a nice pin-up from Picsou illustrating the story.

http://donrosa.free.fr/images/picsou323.jpg
(Thanks to Jano's pages)

>And can anyone on the list suggest other good non-Barks Xmas stories
>featuring Donlad or $crooge?
Well, go to a second-hand shop and find Christmas issues from the last
years. usually thewre are some
very splendid ones inbetween.
I also remember a new years story with a very nice ending. - I'll try to
find it, but I'll tell that some event brings
the duck family very close together. "We have eachother - that's enough"
(BTW i also wrote about this in the third preface for the 3rd 1955-reprint
- it will come out around Christmas too :-)

>I know it's a little early, but ...
It's not a bit too early - look at all the warehouses and malls. They
started maybe even long ago celebrating their
commercial form of Christmas. Buy buy buy it says... - and then it's all
about being together with your loved ones,
doing nice things for others, behaving like a human really should do.

Hilsen/Yours
Anders Christian Sivebæk
Donaldist