Ludwig married? Lives at Donald's house

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Thu Nov 14 08:54:58 CET 2002

For Sigvald and Stefan: Yes, Barks used Ludwig only once,-but in a one-page gag-
NOT on a cover.

Tony Strobl drew several stories in Ludwig's own comic series (1-4 1961-62), in
which Ludwig DID live in Donald's house.  Though not stated, specifically, it
is implied that Ludwig has come from Austria (referred to as "The Old
Country"), to visit his relatives in Duckburg, USA. He stays with Donald first.
It is implied that this goes on for several months, as he builds up bills (from
expenses) over a period.  After that period, he decides he will stay for a
while, and then (issue No.2) we see him in his OWN house in Duckburg.  He COULD
HAVE ben married at some previous time, but no comic book story, children's
book or animation reference has been made to that (to my knowledge). It IS
possible that his wife's death or divorcing him, freed him to finally come to
USA.  But, it is more logical to assume that he NEVER has been married, -
otherwise one of the many storytellers describing events from his life, would
have mentioned that.

For Michiel: Precies! "Pizen" IS meant to be pronounced with "long I" as p-eye-
zen, and rhymes with wizened (at least, the way I have always heard it
pronounced).

"Beulhart Klif" In my opinion, is the best choice of the Dutch translations
used, as it refers to the deadly abruptness of the edge of the landform.
However, that does not account for the "poison" aspect and use of "Pizen".
perhaps "Vergiftig Steile Kaap" would be more accurate -but too long and
cumbersome, and not very clever.  "Beulshart" is clever, colourful and funny,
and makes the point.  I believe the "Pizen" element only was used to place an
element of "deadliness" in the name -NOT to imply poisened water, or so. Then,
the use of "Klif", gives the name an "American West" feeling. So, in this case,
IMO, the translater did a good job.  Stofdorp? How did they come up with such a
dull idea???

For Sonia: Although I am now middle-aged and many people have pointed out that
my mental powers are diminishing rapidly (nietwaar, Harry?); I seem to remember
never hearing the English word "wizened" pronounced with short I, but ONLY with
long I. Admittedly ALL those people were Canadians, Brits, other Europeans, or
Canadians and Ex-Canadians (aaarrrgggh!) in USA. I don't remember ever hearing
a US born and bread person using that word. It is true, that I don't spend much
time talking to people (in English) when in USA. And, I guess the people i do
contact have small vocabularies or speak only Spanish. Is it possible, then,
that the vowel varies from short to long in the various geographical dialects
of English throughout the World (as does the pronunciation of so many words)?

Sorry for the OFF-TOPIC here, - but at least it wasn't ill-spirited!

Rob
Klein