Wizened pizen

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Thu Nov 14 09:51:57 CET 2002

ROB:

> "Pizen" IS meant to be pronounced with "long I" as
> p-eye- zen, and rhymes with wizened (at least, the way I have always heard
> it pronounced).
> I seem to
> remember never hearing the English word "wizened" pronounced with short I,
> but ONLY with long I.

All this discussion about long and short "i"s got me thoroughly confused
regarding the pronunciation of "wizened".  I visited the Merriam-Webster
site (http://www.m-w.com/) which provides audio samples for the entries
in their dictionary, and it would seem that the correct American way
of pronouncing the word is with a short "i". I wouldn't be surprised,
however, if many people pronounce it with a long "i", incorrectly
associating the word with the word "wise".

This still leaves us in the dark about the correct way to pronounce "pizen",
as this is not in the dictionary!

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"Making things Right is my profession.  Cheating Death's just a hobby..."
-----