Reaction to Rob and Sigvald

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at let.rug.nl
Fri Nov 15 14:00:36 CET 2002

Rob Klein:
> I always assumed it meant "to point out", or "to inform".
> I had always heard the Dutch word "wijzen" in Holland
> Apparently, Michiel made the same mistake.

No, I made a different mistake. I assumed that "wizened" meant "grown
wise after much life experience", because it's mostly used as an epitheton
for little old men.

Sigvald:
>> died from over-eating at a free-lunch picknick.
>> I still think that this has happened to Daphne and Goosetave,
> Well, Barks actually changed his mind about that. So there is no
> reason what-so-ever to still think that.

Well, I still think it's a nice story. Dying from over-eating at a free-lunch
picknick is a very likely thing to have happened to Gladstone's parents,
assuming they must have had about the same character as Gladstone
(who manages to get everything for free, due to his good luck).
The story fits in well, and it isn't countered by any other story.
I think fondness of the story is a very good 'reason whatsoever to still
think it'.

(Note that story here doesn't necessarily mean that it ever acquired a
comic form. There is no Barks-story in which it's mentioned, is there?)

Michiel Prior.