Canon fodder

Danehog@aol.com Danehog at aol.com
Mon Nov 25 21:19:15 CET 2002

VIC wrote:

>Lars wrote:
>> I agree. *All* Duck stories are fictional, as is the
>> universe they take
>> place in. And the Duck universe has had hundreds of
>> co-creators who
>> sometimes contradict each other. Which is why (as
>> I've stated earlier),
>> I don't see any point in claiming a particular Duck
>> story is "canon" and
>> another one isn't.
>>
>> If I don't make any sense, it's because I'm tired.
>
>You make perfect sense. I agree with your agreement.

As do I. When so many writers and artists are involved in the creation of a
single "universe," you're bound to have many differences and tweakings--after
all, each creator has a different interpretation of Duckburg and its
residents. (And you really can't deny them of that.)

I don't think looking at anything as true "canon" is the way to go, because
that would present even more plotholes and contradictions. In large, complex
mainstream titles such as the Disney Ducks, you really can't take one way or
the other seriously.

That is, it's great to look at Don Rosa's "Life of Scrooge" arc as a nice
collection of all of Barks' Scrooge-facts--and it's easy to generally accept
the whole thing as an accurate "set-in-stone" fact-fest about Scrooge's life.
But an obscure European artist might have a completely different idea about
Scrooge's life, and I think that's perfectly acceptable.

The Duck universe isn't really something that should have set boundaries, if
you ask me.

(Please don't burn me for the repetition of this message! I'm a first-time
poster!)
--
Dane Martin
"I don't know from alliteration