Regarding "Stonewall Duck"

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Sun Sep 22 09:07:15 CEST 2002

     Statue of "Stonewall Duck", leader of a battle for Duckburg
100 years before the story in WDC&S 239 (1960):  Using the
name "Stonewall" Barks must have had the American civil war
in mind, 1861-64, with "Stonewall Jackson" a famous general
for the South.  However, since Don Rosa has determined that
Duckburg is on the Pacific coast, near the actual town of
Eureka, California, Duckburg could not have been involved in
the American Civil war.  Perhaps we could determine what
foreign power could have engaged Duckburg in a battle
around 1860.  The Russians had a fort at the town called
Fort Bragg, California, which is somewhat south of Duckburg.
This was established when the Russians were exploring
the west coast of America, and held the territory of Alaska.
At some point they gave up on Fort Bragg and went back
to Alaska, and in 1867 they gave up on Alaska, too, and it
became a territory of America, and the 49th state in 1957.
         So perhaps Stonewall Duck encountered some Russian
troups in 1860, and his victory convinced them to leave
Fort Bragg, and, discouraged, eventually Alaska, too.  I've
been to the old fort at Fort Bragg, which is maintained as
a historic relic.  There was never any battle there, or anywhere
between American and Russian military at that time.  In real
life, I think the Russians left Fort Bragg earlier than 1860,
but maybe these things can be modified a little for applications
to Duckburg.