Location of Foola Zoola's village

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Sun Sep 22 11:35:34 CEST 2002

I just re-read Rosa's Life & Times of Scrooge, part 11.
I hadn't examined the many details of  this story before
when Gladstone first printed it, since there were lots
of new comics to read then.  Don locates Foola Zoola's
original village somewhere up the Congo river in
central Africa, very near the Kachoonga diamond mine
and the Quak Quak tribe in Barks' "Bongo on the
Congo" story (US 33).  But did Barks intend central
Africa as the location of Foola Zoola in his
"Voodoo Hoodoo" story?  The clues were confusing,
because I recalled when Huey, Dewey, and Louie buy
a spear from one of Foola Zoola's guards for $10,000,
he runs off "to Capetown, boy, --Shopping."  Capetown
is in South Africa.  Also, the very name, Foola Zoola,
suggests he is a Zulu, who are in South Africa.
      However, they are near Scrooge's rubber plantation,
and rubber plantations are located in rainy tropical regions, not
South Africa.  Also, if Capetown is nearby, there would
be no need to use the airport at Whambo Jambo (page 16).
So should we presume Foola Zoola's guard is planning
a very long trip to go shopping in Capetown?
     Or if Foola Zoola's village in Voodoo Hoodoo is
really in South Africa, how far is it from Glomgold's
money bin in the Limpopo valley of South Africa?