what a fanzine can contain?

timo ronkainen timoro at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 29 20:10:35 CEST 2002

>Well, I know some of you have experience on fanzines, so I would like know
>about what I can publish and what no in a Disney comics fanzine.

Do you need suggestions for possible contain, or advice of what you *can*
print on fanzine?
Normally fanzine contains analytical articles, nostalgic looks on some
creator's work, critique etc, and The Fair Usage Doctrine allows the use of
small elements from a total creative work for purposes of criticism and
commentary. It is perfectly legal to print excerpts from Disney comic within
an article and such. No matter what Disney corporation might say.
Swedish, German, Danish and Finnish Duck-fanzines have carried lots of
Disney images for years without problems. And there is so called Bern
agreement of 1886 concerning copyright laws. I think it is called
International Copyright Treaty. It gives you a right to do small citations
from any creative work. As far as I know The United States joined wholly the
Bern Convention in 1989. All European countries have ratified this treaty
also.
Notify that I'm not a legal expert, and you can always ask how much is "fair
usage".

Timo

^^''*''^^
Cartoonist - writer - donaldist -