Rosa in Holland - answer to daniel

Anders Christian Sivebæk anders_sivebaek at nns.dk
Mon Aug 4 20:13:17 CEST 2003

Hi

>Daniel van Eijmeren
>
>>> I repeat that - i would like to meet them [the Dutch editors]
>>> so we could clear up this long-time misunderstandment, as it
>>> probably is.
>
>Okay. I'm curious what they will say. (Do you mean you have plans to
>travel to The Netherlands on the short term?)
No, not any firm plans.
But hoping that this discussion stays what i intended it to be -
afriendly discussion - I hope it's not totally impossible to some
time drive to the netherlands and perhaps visit the ducth fans i know here
from dcml.

>I think the multi-part versions are used because they are already
>coloured when the Dutch editors buy them as story material from Egmont.
Aha - I understand that!

>I've heard that the extra pages are used to give Rosa's stories some
>moments of rest and recapitulation.
I wouldn't disagree on that.

Me:

>> Does this make the whole thing better, if I may so ask?
Daniel:

>No, but my point was that the Dutch editor isn't intentionally ignorant
>towards Don Rosa's stories, as has for a long time been suggested here
>on DCML. It's rather the opposite situation, because Don Rosa's stories
>are faithfully published in albums, contrary to most other artists.
I see your point. You are right. Many artists, who really do deserve it,
don't get their stories published in albums, extras and so on.

>> Rosa is, maybe to say the most perhaps the heir - an apprentice who
>> didn't meet the "wizard" untill 1998. -

>What do you mean to say with this?
Notice my "to say the most" - to say the least, Don is a cartoonist like
many others.
My personal favorite would still be barks, Rosa is on a close second. To
*me*

> "Don Rosa is the son of god, his only

>son, and no one else will guide
>you to comic book heaven", or something

>like that?
I certainly did not mean to say that, nor do I think it myself. I see Rosa
as my own
favorite, of the people still drawing stories. His way to tell duck
stories is the one I like.

>I don't want to step into such a discussion. And why would you?
I don't want to start that, no. I did not mean to do that when i replied
to the mail another
dutch send. I only wanted to reply, but i maybe went too far.
Actually i would like to meet the publishers, not to eat them, as Harry
jokingly asked,
but to talk - I've had giving talks with the editors from komix and from
Anders And.

>There are many, MANY "Barks heirs" who write great stories and draw great
>There are many, MANY "Barks heirs" who write great stories and draw great
>art.
I do agree - sorry to not expressing the agreement more. I do like most of
the stories done
by these heirs, who honnor Barks, use his and others' charecters.

>> Barks is, in the yes of many the big master - and they treat the
>> versions of his stories with the same care? Is it impossible to find
>> the original prints, so they could reconstruct what deisappered under
>> resume-boxes or put in again the pages that are gone? The italian
>> publishers does this - so why can't the dutch.
>And why can't anyone else?
Erm, I got lost in our conversation here. Do you imply that i imply that
the italians
are the only ones who do it right? Or should i just stop thinking...

Translators:

>I think the Dutch translations of Barks's stories are rather good.
>They not nescessarily 100% accurate to the original words, though.
>Sometimes the Dutch translations are different because of artistic
>reasons (making them more understandable, recognizable, or funnier,
>for Dutch readers), but they also have been different because of
>having to translate a foreign non-English source. The latter mostly
>happened in the past.
Thanks for this information.

>> But it sure doesn't make the case better that they treat the stories
>> of the master in the same way as they do with "The new Duckmaster"
>> (That's the name of a homepage)
>What do you mean to say with this? Don Rosa is "The new Duckmaster"
>because a homepage has been titled that way? I really don't see why
>you seem to want to turn this subject into a "Barks heir" discussion.
Rethinking, i don't either - It was not meant to use the name of the
homepage that way. I was just not taking the learning from a lesson i
learned here
through the past month - only refer ones own thouhts - only speak for
yourself...

>> But you dutch people have told me before they have this tradition of
>> redrawng covers and other things - Only the first couple of albums with
>> barks-stories had Barks-covers in Netherland, then it was stopped - Why
>> is that? I'd like to hear the reason for this
>> I don't believe that they don't find the many covers that Barks and
>> others have made not good enough?
>I think the new covers are drawn to give Dutch publications a consistent
>look and style. Different artists have different styles, and even these
>individual styles change throughout the artists's careers. Using these
>covers on principle would give the Dutch covers an inconsistent look,
>and some of these covers are simply not attractive enough for the Dutch
>market. For example, some of the later Gladstone covers would be too
>empty and stiff for a Dutch publication.
Again, an explanation that I can understand. Thanks.

>>> Here on DCML, the Dutch editors seem to have a bad reputation when
>>> it comes to Don Rosa. This has been going on for years, as long as
>>> I can remember. Do they really deserve that bad reputation, given
>>> the efforts I've just mentioned? Or are there other reasons?
>
>> There sure isn't anything more in my criticism than the fact that
>> *I* think they could put a little more effort into some of these
>> things. Some of the other dutch Rosa-readers I've mailed with think
>> the same...
>
>Undoubtly, there will be people who think the same about this as you
>(or me). There's no need to mention that, while defending/explaining
>your opinion. Let those people stand up and speak for themselves.
Making my mind up I couldn't agree more.

Hilsen/Yours
Anders Christian Sivebæk
Donaldist