name changes

Rich Bellacera xephyr at cwnet.com
Mon Aug 11 01:40:46 CEST 2003

Katie said:

> Frankly, I would just be thrilled that there was a new story featuring one of my all-time favorite characters!  :)

I guess you're right.  I, too woul be happy to see Goldie again, even if
her name wasn't "O'Gilt." though I do like consistency in naming, at
least where one country's version is concerned.  I certainly hope that
the issue of naming Miss Quackfaster "Florence" rather than "Emily" was
merely an oversight rather than some sort of inhouse dispute (as SV
suggests).  I would also hope that Goldie's name continues by other
creators to be "O'Gilt" at least in the USA... However, there is the
possibility that names that are NOT written in stone, such as
Quackfaster's first name or Goldie's last name, are open to personal
interpretation until ordered by THE COMPANY to conform to one consistent
name.

It is odd that there is a difference between names in British "English"
and American "English" (and we might even add Egmont "English," too).

With Egmont English, we have names such as Kildare Coot for the Italian
 character of Donald's cousin Sgrizzo Papero, but Kildare has never
appeared in an American comic, and I'm not sure if he's appeared in a
British one either.  And I think Kildare's chubby photographer friend's
name is Andy Lenscap (Italian: Vincenzo Paperica) even though he's never
appeared in the US either.  Same goes for Dickie Duck (Paperetta Ye-Ye)
even though we can actually credit the creator for her English name
here, and Dugan Duck (Biquinho), or Trudy or Sonny Seagull, ..  and the
list goes on....

If a story is printed by Gemstone featuring a character never seen in a
US comic, would they be obligated to use the Egmont or, if known, the
British name, for the character???  Would Morty & Ferdie's mother be
called Felicity?  Would Bella Quack be called Belle Duck?  Would Atomino
Bip-Bip be called Atomo Bleep-Bleep?

Even though I get the joke surrounding Doctor Einmug (Einstein), I like
Dr. Enigma better.  I'm glad Doc Static remained Doc Static in the
recently published "SpiderMouse" comic as I can't recall any other
comics published by Gladstone with Doc Static (though there might have
been).

It's amazing how the naming of Minnie's twin nieces was resolved to
Melody & Millie in the US without even another story featuring them ever
being published here! LOL!

I guess I started the name debate when I was surprised by the "Florence"
name, but I was only asking for thoughts on why the name was changed,
and certainly NOT making accusations in the process.  I didn't know that
Don Rosa was the only creator to ever use the name Emily, and since he
basically does ignore many other characters (Rumpus McFowl, Gideon
McDuck, etc.), I can see why his work might be considered even a
sub-universe within the greater Duck universe which includes these
characters and even DuckTales ones, hence it's possible that in the
"Rosa-Verse" she is Emily Quackfaster, but in the larger Duck Universe,
she is known in American English as Florence Quackfaster.  The same
might be true of Paperinik (Super Donald), called Super Duck in British
English, who is better known as the Duck Avenger in the US since that's
the only version of Super Donald that has ever been published here.

Just some ponderings I have about naming conventions and the sort.

Thanks,

Rich Bellacera