SV: Re: character consistency

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Wed Aug 13 17:05:45 CEST 2003

rodney-selfhelpbikeco at juno.com wrote:

>> But why must there be consistency? I don't see
>> a problem with having different versions of
>> various characters, assuming it's not overdone,
>> and there is a reason for such versions.
>
> I couldn't agree with this more.  As long as
> the characters adhere to the basic character
> traits that they were assigned, it's okay to
> stray from the Barks (or Gottfredson in the
> case of mice) ways. Some people may not
> personally like the stories that stray from
> those paths, but the odds are that the
> following story in the book *will* meet your
> expectations.

IMO a tale like "The Life and Times of Pete" would not be a suitable place
for experiments as it should be the biography of the true Pete, not any role
character that he has once be used as in various stories. And I am sure that
there won't be any problems at all doing a great biography for Pete even if
the artist decide to limit him-/herself to Gottfredson/Murry.

> As soon as we assign strict continuity to
> Disney comics is when they become no better
> than the super hero books that clutter up the
> comic shops.

Following a strict timeline actually makes stories more realistic. There are
IMO other, and better reasons for not liking the Marvel Super-Hero stories.

Off course it's possible to do great stories without following a strict
timeline, but in a serious biography as we are discussing now, strict
continuity is IMO unavoidable.

Sigvald