Goofy's grandma

Armando Botto armando.botto at libero.it
Fri Aug 15 10:39:54 CEST 2003

Hi Gilles!

> >Grandma Goofy
Original name: Grandma Goofy [GO's grandmother who wears a baseball jersey]
Finnish: Isoäiti Hissu
Italian: Nonna Peppa
Appearances: 2 (US Daily strips:1 ; US Sunday pages:1)
but this character isn't indexed anymore in COA...
> could anyone tell me the references of the strip ad the sunday page? if
anyone could provide scans and info on the character and on the plot, that'd
be nice

Grandma Goofy appears in three Gottfredson dailies, namely January 7, 8, and
10, 1955. We are at the beginning of the "Dr. X" continuity: Goofy has
disappeared, and Mickey phones Grandma to check whether he's at her place.
Grandma is a sweet old lady who sits in a comfy chair watching a wrestling
match on TV, with a baseball bat by her side ;-)

A Grandma Goofy had alreay appeared in the Sunday page of September 10, 1944
(drawn by Bill Wright). Grandma is going to stay at Goofy's for a while, and
has sent a heavy trunk in advance; Goofy is very undecided about which is
the best room in his house, so the trunk gets moved around a lot (by poor
Mickey) before finding its final sistemation. In the end, the room floor
gives in, and the trunk goes a few floors down; the final panel of the gag
shows Grandma in the basement, happily reading a book in her rocking chair.

I'll send you scans in a separate message.

Ciao,
Armando