Barksian admirers for Scrooge

Katie Sullivan vazali at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 03:57:33 CEST 2003

Sigvald wrote:
>Well, AFAIK he *never* showed any such admirer of $crooge.
>Anyway, I guess
>that Katie kan tell us more about this - as she's AFAIK DCMLs
>expert on THIS
>particular topic.

Heehee...I guess I am, at that.  You need look no further than
"Back to the Klondike" to see Goldie's reaction to Scrooge when
he shows up at her doorstep.  "You're still just as handsome as
ever, Scrooge!" she says, after having rushed to dress up in her
best gown and jewelry to greet him.

Goldie aside, the only other Barks-canon romantic admirer of
Scrooge that I can think of is in "The Ten-Cent Valentine."  Is
that the title?  I'm embarassed to admit I don't have the story
handy, but from what I remember, Magica DeSpell sent a letter to
Scrooge laced with a love potion perfume.  If I remember the
story correctly, no one thought it particularly odd that he was
getting a letter from a lady admirer.

As for Brigitta MacBridge, Carl Barks liked the character so
well that he drew a sketch of her using money perfume to attract
Scrooge's attention and sent it to Romano Scarpa.
http://www.sullivanet.com/duckburg/loves/brigitta-barks.gif
So obviously Barks was open to the idea of an admirer for
Scrooge, even if he didn't create the character himself.

Katie Sullivan
http://www.sullivanet.com/