SV: Re: Question for Sigvald - Walt Kelly

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Tue Aug 19 00:49:01 CEST 2003

Olivier <mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> c) please don't use such phrases as "this
> non-Disney Pogo-Stuff": it is very
> disparaging.

I didn't mean any harm with it. The only reason for mention it that way is
that I don't know it very much. I have *no reason* to doubt the quality of
Pogo though. I have even seen a few strips on a WEB-page lately.

> Pogo was an excellent strip with characters
> that happened to be animals instead of humans
> (to paraphrase a well-known duck author/
> artist).

I have no doubt at all about that. And that's probably why Walt Kelly is so
well-known and well-respected. While Carl Barks was kept anonymous by
Disney, Kelly's name was probably always connected with Pogo, just like
Charles Shulz name was connected to his work, etc. So just like SKO and
others say that we shouldn't trust Google-WEB-polls to much - we should IMO
also be very careful by ranking Kelly and other well-promoted
artists/creators over Barks, whose name wasn't promoted at all in his active
days.

Sigvald