a third Douglas?! (to Lars)

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Tue Aug 19 20:00:36 CEST 2003

On November 25, 2002, Gilles wrote:

> (mainly directed to Lars Jensen)
> Waitaminit!!!!
> In D 7296, by Vicar (writer unknown), there apears a prospector cousin
> named Douglas, but he doesn't look at all like yours (same clothes,
> but with a beard!).
> So, some things i've said in my last message must have been because i
> was thinking of this douglas (the douglas from the Vicar story you've
> been inspired from, I even didn't know his name)
> So, do you think this third (well, chronologically speaking, it's the
> second one) douglas should be considered as the same one??? S.
> Haagerup, who provided me a scan for this Douglas, told me he was, in
> his version, 1/4 cousin to Scrooge and called "Freddy Fryseand"(Freddy
> Freezing-duck) , but he is listed as "Douglas" in Inducks...
> could you, please, tell me what you think about all this???

I finally found the time to look at "Hillbilly Cousin" (D 7296). The
hillbilly character in this story doesn't look like the "Douglas/Freddy
Fryseand" pictured on your Duck Family Tree. Also, his original name is
Duckwood (Andreas in Danish), rather than Douglas. And he is Donald's
cousin, rather than Scrooge's 1/4 cousin. Perhaps you or S. Haagerup
mixed up two stories? Anyway, the character from D 7296 is definitely
*not* Scrooge's cousin Douglas (as seen in D 5560 and D 99252).

And just so you know: "Hillbilly Cousin" ends by showing us a ton of
(apparently one-off) Duck family members, none of which seem to be in
your Duck Family Tree, as far as I can tell.

Lars