Vicar's Douglas

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Wed Aug 27 19:08:05 CEST 2003

Gilles wrote:

>> I finally found the time to look at "Hillbilly Cousin" (D 7296). The
>> hillbilly character in this story doesn't look like the
>> "Douglas/FreddyFryseand" pictured on your Duck Family Tree.
>
> I think I mixed up the stories... the story in which Freddy appeared
> must be D9312, still by Vicar, and the original name of this character
> would be welcome... if you're able to check that, that'd be cool

I checked out "Duck of the Antarctic" (D 9312) earlier today. The story
is about Donald being inspired by a distant relative to do something
heroic. In the original this relative is Don's great great granduncle
Captain Duck of the Antarctic; in the Danish version it's Don's
great-great-great-great-great-grandfather Roald And. We never see this
relative, so that picture of "Douglas/Freddy Fryseand" on your Duck
Family Tree couldn't have come from this story. And since their names
are dissimilar, I think it's safe to conclude they're not the same
character.
Also, at the end of "Antarctic" we learn that Captain Duck/Roald And is
*not* a relative of Donald's, after all. So this character shouldn't be
included on the Tree, in my opinion.

I'm still wondering where that picture on the Family Tree and the name
"Freddy Fryseand" came from, though.

Lars