Supernatural vs. paranormal

Katie Sullivan vazali at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 31 04:30:52 CEST 2003

Don Rosa wrote:

>  I still recall a frustrating conversation 'way back
> in my college
> days with someone who just couldn't understand why scientists
> would explore
> the possibility of large sea creatures in Loch Ness or the
> so-called
> "abominable snowmen" in the Himalayas, but they were not
> investigating the
> existence of werewolves in the suburbs or vampires at the
> all-night grocery.
> I could not get through to him.

Oh goodness, I know exactly what you mean. I've read (and in
fact own) many many many books on the Loch Ness creature, sea
serpents and other, related critters like Ogopogo and Champ.  I
find it a fascinating subject, and it's very frustrating that
some people consider such topics too "silly" for serious
scientific inquiry.  It's absurd to think we've discovered every
animal on the planet, after all.
*gets down off her soapbox*  ;)

Fortunately Disney comics have no shortage of "Nessie" type
creatures and sea serpents, and they are very real in the ducks'
universe!  ;)

As for Sigvald's latest fascinating attempt at logic...my name
is Irish, yet I'm a full quarter Norwegian and only a little bit
Irish.  I'm actually more German than I am Irish!  Your typical
American mutt.  Meaning, of course, that in America names are an
even LESS reliable determiner of ethnicity than they are in the
rest of the this ever-shrinking world community we all share.
;)
This discussion does get my vote for most absurd of the month,
though.

Katie Sullivan
http://www.sullivanet.com/